27 February 2010

Different Ending, Same Reaction

I don't remember the last time I read a book that made me cry. However, I often cry during movies. I think it's because of the added visual element; rather than merely reading about someone's pain, you see their faces twisted with grief or disgust, families ripped apart, people's brains blown out. Today, though, I finished a book that made me cry, and is still forcing tears to my eyes.
The first time I read My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, I didn't even know what medical emancipation was. I was simply reading it for the book club I belonged to at the time. While it may have sparked some passion--though I don't know how much passion I could honestly muster up when I was fourteen--it was just another sob story in a long line of books to read and discuss. But, then the movie adaptation came out last year. I recalled reading the book, as did my mother, so we borrowed the DVD from the library. Now, there are films that have been described as tear-jerkers, or three-hanky movies; this movie came closer to ten hankies. Upon finishing the movie, I had this nagging in the back of my head that all was not well on-screen. A couple days ago, I picked My Sister's Keeper up from the library (yes, the same library; we really only go to one), and from the moment I started reading, I couldn't put it down. I finished it about five minutes ago, and the same tears I had throughout the movie are coming back to haunt me. All this, despite the book and movie having drastically different endings.
From what I read on her site, Jodi Picoult is none too happy with the way her story was adapted. Certainly the original ending was sad, but so is the ending of the movie. The only difference is that a different person dies. But that makes all the difference. I encourage you, my readership, to experience both the book and movie for yourselves. As far as the order is concerned, I tend to read the book first, but that's just because it's what I know best.
~Sushi
P.S. Thank you, Faythe, for giving me a bit of steam back.

No comments:

Post a Comment