09 February 2010

Religulous: Up in Arms Againsts Belief

I can't recall who first told me about the movie Religulous, but I finally got around to watching it. I've come to this conclusion--the movie is not so much about bashing religion as it is about promoting Bill Maher. Maher wants to convince us that he's right so badly that he'll interrupt a perfectly rational person to make his own rash assumptions, finish their sentences, or make a lewd comment concerning their particular religion. And he doesn't just do it once, or ten times. He butts in over and over and over again. How am I supposed to take anything good out of this movie when all I see is a smart-ass comedian interrupt and override respected religious authorities and innocent bystanders. Some examples: accusing an "ex-gay" counselor of having an erection after giving him a hug; cracking gay jokes at the owner of a burka store; repeatedly referring to an actor playing the Lord as "Jesus," as though it were his actual name. This is a movie I do not plan to see again soon. I'm pretty sure that even Spock, who is an atheist, would be upset by the crude way this shoddy film is put together.


To make up for that tirade, here are some links on the more interesting topics that came up during the course of the film.
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda: believes he is either Christ or the Antichrist, depending on the source
Cerne Abbas giant: If this was in America, the whole field would have been burned by now. Luckily, it's not.
The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie: This book certainly caused an uproar.
Joseph Smith: The founder of Mormonism, and all its wonders.
Scientology: Just ask Tom Cruise.
The Lucifer Principle, by Howard Bloom: this book seriously pissed off pretty much everyone in the Big Three [Judaism, Christianity, and Islam]
Raelism: Very alien-centric.
Wow... I don't even have to go to church this week, I've learned so much.
~Sushi

No comments:

Post a Comment