16 May 2010

Pomp and Circumstance

It doesn't seem like it's been enough time since I graduated high school in 2008. Has it already been two years? There are days when I can't even remember high school, and others when it feels like I was just there. Today, I can clearly remember standing in the kitchen, ironing the hideous green gown I wore then, and I can recall sitting at my kitchen table decorating my mortarboard with foam cut-outs of the colleges and universities I thought I would attend [I made it to one out of the three]. But now, I've traded my green cap and gown for black, my green and gold tassel for blue and red, and my high school diploma for an associate's degree in psychology. Some things stayed the same, though. For instance, I didn't actually receive my degree today--the school will mail it after they do a degree audit. Instead, I crossed the stage and was handed a snazzy folder with a letter inside:
Dear graduate:
On behalf of the Board of Trustees, faculty and staff, I congratulate you on your accomplishments as a graduate of Kankakee Community College.
We trust your experiences at KCC have prepared you for your next steps in life. More importantly, we wish you to always look at KCC as part of your life-long learning experiences and intellectual growth.
It was our pleasure to serve you through our programs and services. This letter will serve as your provisional diploma. Upon final verification of your completion of degree requirements, your diploma will be mailed to you.
As you go on to new and greater challenges, let me wish you success in realizing your highest potential and accomplishing your goals. I sincerely hope that your efforts also bring you happiness, prosperity, and a sense of fulfillment. KCC is proud to include you in our growing family of alumni.
From the entire KCC family, we wish you all the best.
Sincerely,
[signature]
John Avendano, Ph.D.
President
When I was in high school, the same thing happened, minus the provisional replacement on official school letterhead. In fact, I don't remember why the diplomas weren't in the folders, since they had our names on them and everything. No matter, though. I had an enjoyable day. Another interesting parallel was that Ted Petersen, the athletic director at KCC and an EIU alumnus, was our keynote speaker; when I was a freshman, he came to my high school to give a speech. After snapping a million and a half pictures, Spock and I went back to his house and watched Star Trek. We got through four episodes, all third season:
1. All Our Yesterdays
2. Turnabout Intruder
3. The Cloud Minders
4. The Savage Curtain
And I'm well-aware that they aren't in order; I put them in which they were watched.
College has brought a lot of interesting changes for me. I've got five more piercings than I used to. I have dated five people since I started, and found, I hope, the person I will stay with. I've changed my major, and gotten far more experience in the field than I ever thought I would. I've met new people, and made friendships that I will keep for a lifetime. I've gone to midnight shows, anime conventions, pride parades, and not a whole hell of a lot of parties. [There really isn't much partying in community college; either that, or I didn't hang out with the partying crowd.] I discovered my sexual preference, and flaunted it like a tad too much at times; my parents didn't appreciate that. Most importantly, I developed a sense of who I am and where I am going in life. I'll take all these experiences with me, and move on to the next part of the journey. IN THREE MONTHS!
I'm super-tired after all this, though, so I'd just like to close by saying congrats to the entire Class of 2010, no matter what school, or even what level of education, you are in. We all did well.
~Sushi, A.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment