13 October 2009

Rick Astley is Serious Business

I frequently listen to a local oldies station, and this morning, Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" came on. Spock, my boyfriend-like person, and I joked that the entire county had just been rickrolled. But, I thought about it for a while, and I wondered why the song is so damn funny. For those of you lucky enough to never have been rickrolled, here is the Pop Up Video version, courtesy of a lovely Youtuber.
Why is that song so funny? Is it because a gangly, red-headed Brit sounds like the biggest black baritone you've ever heard? Is it because the dance moves are so ludicrous that you can't help but laugh until a beverage spews out of your olfactory cavities? [That's your nose, just in case you were wondering.] I personally don't see what's so hilarious about it, probably because I had heard it long before it was transformed into the meme it is today. Which brings me to my list.


Top 5 Favorite Memes


1. Lolcats


2. McRolling


3. People of Wal-Mart


4. GraphJam


5. Chuck Norris Facts


I'm never gonna give the internets up.
~Sushi

No comments:

Post a Comment